US Aviation

Frequently Asked Questions

Commerical Pilot LSA (Sport Pilot) Financing Flight Certificates Instrument Rating - 12 day Medical Certificates Private Pilot

Commerical Pilot

What type of training do I have to go through to become a commercial pilot and fly for the airlines?

USAA offers an ab-initio (from zero time) flight training package, which trains you from your private up through your commercial certificate with multi-engine and instrument ratings. When you have completed one of our TX flight training schools, the most common career path for our students is to become flight instructors. As an instructor you can build necessary flight experience before you start applying for a job with regional and commuter airlines. If you already have a private, we will merge you into the program and start with your instrument training.

What facilities are offered at Denton Municipal Airport?

  • USAA conducts its non-degree flight training out of its flight training facility at Denton Municipal Airport (DTO).
  • 642 foot elevation 7,002 x 150 foot runway
  • 50 ft. semi-parallel taxiway
  • Global Positioning System (GPS) approaches
  • Instrument Landing System (ILS)-109.1
  • Non- Directional Beacon approach
  • PAPI(P4L) Runaway 36
  • MALSR. PAPI (P4L) – Runway 18
  • Automated Surface Observation System (ASOS) - 119.32 UNICOM 122.7
  • UNICOM - 130.57 or 940-383-2484

I want to train for an airline transport pilot certificate (ATP). Can I do that at USAA?

USAA offers the necessary training for the ATP. However, one of the critical points for obtaining an ATP is to meet the aeronautical experience Part 61.159 which states that you need 1,500 hours of flight experience. Most people choose to obtain the additional time after having completed a commercial certificate by becoming flight instructors. To be eligible for an ATP certificate you also need to meet the requirements of the Federal Aviation Regulations Part 61.153 which include being 23 years of age, and be able to read, speak, write and understand the English language.

My vision is not perfect. Can I still become a pilot?

Yes, as long as you meet the requirements of an FAA Class 1 or 2 medical your vision will not be an issue. It is necessary that your vision is correctable to 20/20; however, it is not necessary to have perfect uncorrected vision. Each airline has specific requirements for their employees.

Does USAA offer a Part 141 program?

Yes! USAA is now a FAA Approved flight training school, certified by the FAA under 14 CFR Part 141 for Private, Commercial, Instrument, ATP, Single and Multi-engine Land airplanes, and all three Instructor Programs.

What kind of medical examinations do I have to go through to qualify for the program?

USAA requires at a minimum, its students to hold an FAA Class III to train with the school; however we highly recommend a Class I medical for all professional pilot program students. It is necessary that you have obtained your medical prior to starting training, which can be done either locally or by accessing Federal Aviation Administration Office of Aviation Medicine Civil Aeromedical Institute.

What are the minimum requirements for low-time hire airlines?

In the past the required flight time has been based on demand varying from 250 hours to 2,000 hours. Due to new laws taking effect soon the standard will be 1,500 with ATP.

I don't have a college degree. Can I still become a commercial pilot?

Most airlines require their pilots to have completed a four year degree from an accredited college.

LSA (Sport Pilot)

Sport Pilot is a more restrictive license than the Private Pilot. You can only fly Light Sport Aircraft (LSA's) which are 2 seaters; you can only fly during the day in good weather (VFR) and stay below 10,000 ft. It takes less required flight time to obtain the Sport Pilot and flight time flown can be used toward the Private if you wish to upgrade later. No medical is required to obtain the Sport Pilot buy you must hold a valid driver's license.

  • Runway length is 7,002 feet.
  • PAPI (P4L) Runway 36
  • MALSR.PAPI (P4L) - Runway 18
  • Automated Surface Observation Systems (ASOS) - 119.32 or 940-383-8457
  • UNICOM - 130.57 or 940-383-2484


Need Financial Help? problem.

There is a variety of financial aid available for eligible students and we'll work with you to find the right program or combination of programs for your needs. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff will gladly assist you with the process.

Pilot Finance

Pilot Finance is a financial aid program that provides part-time students (defined as 1-5 lessons per week) with the opportunity to earn their wings with affordable, level monthly payments. The typical approval process takes just 24 hours and can accommodate almost all part-time training. The maximum amount financed is limited only by the applicant's income, debts, and credit record. The maximum repayment term (number of payments) is determined by the number of lessons per week in the student's training schedule.

Veterans Administration

Through the use of the Veterans Administration's GI Bill, US Veterans are eligible for financial aid for educational & job training programs. Specifically, eligible veterans can receive 60% of training costs associated with obtaining an Instrument Flight Rating or higher classification. You'll find us listed on the VA's website in the Facilities Locater and Directory.

For more information, click on the links below:

Flight Certificates

What Flight Certificates Can I Earn and What Can I do With Them?

The general progression of earning flight certificates and ratings is detailed below, although there are many routes you may choose to follow.

Private Pilot

A person will first earn his Private Pilot Certificate, which will give him the privileges of flying alone or with family and friends in good weather. A Private Pilot is not allowed to fly for compensation or hire, to fly in and out of clouds or fog, or in areas of very low visibility. This means that the pilot is limited in some of the things they can do, mainly due to safety-related reasons.

Instrument Rating

The next step is to obtain an Instrument Rating, which is basically an amendment to your Private Pilot License that says you may now fly in and out of clouds and low visibility, because you have advanced training in using and relying on only your instruments to fly. However, it is not another license, therefore, you are still limited to the restrictions of your Private Pilot's License of not being able to fly for hire.

Commercial License

The next certificate you will earn will be your Commercial License. This allows you to fly for hire, and it requires a good deal more flight time. The FAA is looking for is more experience. They expect you to demonstrate mastery of the aircraft and, therefore, require you to perform to stricter parameters than what was previously required as a Private Pilot. Now you will be able to fly for money!

Multi-Engine Rating

If you are looking for airline or charter employment and have done all of your training in a single-engine airplane thus far, you will want to get what's called a multi-engine add-on. The requirement here is the ability to fly to Commercial and Instrument standards in a multi-engine aircraft.

Certified Flight Instructor

A great way to build experience, and the flight hours necessary for advancement to an airline position, while earning money is to become a Certified Flight Instructor (CFI). If you want to teach Instrument students you will want to get an Instrument Rating attached to your Flight Instructor Certificate (Certified Flight Instructor Instrument-CFII). The last of the instructor certificates is your Multi-engine Instructor Certificate (MEI) which allows you to instruct in multi-engine aircraft.

Instrument Rating - 12 day

What is a typical day like?

A training day is between 6 and 8 hours in length and consists of a combination of ground and flight training.

What if I don't pass the check ride the first time?

We work with you until the problem is corrected and can often obtain a re-check on the same day.

Will we lose training days due to bad weather?

Denton enjoys nice weather and training is flexible enough to allow for changes.

How much notice do I need to give to reserve a slot in the 12 Day program?

Typically, a week or two is more than enough time to ensure a date.

Can I really learn to fly instruments in just 12 days?


Medical Certificates

Before you can enjoy your first solo flight and to keep your pilot license valid, you need a medical certificate. There are three types of certificates available:

1st Class for Airline Transport Pilots

Valid for six months

2nd Class for Commercial Pilots

Valid for twelve months

3rd Class for Private Pilots

Valid for thirty-six months if you are under age 40 Valid for twenty-four months if you are over age 40 Each medical certificate downgrades to the next if not renewed. The exact medical requirements for obtaining a 1st, 2nd and 3rd class certificate are covered under FAR Part 67. As a rule of thumb, you will get at least a third class medical certificate if you are in healthy condition and there is no serious medical problem.

Private Pilot

What does it take to get a private pilot license?

To get your pilot license, you must:

  • Be 17 years old
  • Be able to speak, read, write , and understand English
  • Pass an FAA Class III physical examination
  • Pass an FAA aeronautical knowledge test
  • Have an FAA flight test
  • Have a minimum of 40 hours of flight time, of which a minimum of 20 hours must be with an instructor

How long will it take for me to get my pilot license?

It depends on how often you fly, and how much time and effort you put into studying. The more often you fly, the less time it will take and the more fun you will have! Every student is different, with some people wanting to schedule many hours of training each week and others spreading out their training over many months. It's up to you.

How often can I fly?

You can fly as often as your schedule will allow. We recommend that you fly a minimum of 1 day per week. Most students fly at least twice a week. However, some students fly 4-5 times per week.

Can I fly at night?

Yes. As part of your basic training you are required to have a minimum of 3 hours of night training including a night cross country with an instructor.

Can I take passengers when I get my license?

Yes. One of the most enjoyable activities when you get your license is taking friends and family for a flight - maybe for the famous "$100 hamburger". You can share flight expenses with your passengers, but you cannot fly for "hire".

What is the difference between Part 61 and Part 141?

At US Aviation Academy we follow the same curriculum for both FAR part 61 and part 141 training. The biggest advantage to training under 141 is that the minimum flight times for each license is reduced which will save you money. We also have 141 self-examining authority which means you will take your check ride with one of our senior staff as opposed to doing it with the FAA or a DPE.
As far as the quality of training there is no difference between 141 and 61 at US Aviation. All student will follow the syllabus and will take stage check regardless of which part of the FAR’s their training is conducted under. All training records are kept electronically for every flight and ground lesson that a student does at the Academy so a clear picture of how the training is going is always availible to each and every student.
Under part 61 you can do a self-study course where as under 141 you will have to attend ground school. The Academy has its own app which mandatory for either part of training and contains all the books, videos, charts, approach plates and much more that a student will need for not only the knowledge portion but also the flight portion of their training. Also if you already have flight training for a certain license or rating you will need to train under part 61 to count all of that flight time.

What about "ground school"?

In the past, the theory and knowledge required to become a pilot was typically taught in a classroom setting. Classes were usually held once or twice weekly for as long as 3 months. Today, most of us have busier work schedules that make this method of training impractical. We have addressed this concern with the revolutionary Jeppesen multimedia training program. As a Piper training Center, USAA offers the interactive multimedia CBI programs for the Private, Instrument and Commercial Pilot courses. This exceptional software is proven to expedite your progress and efficiency. Additionally, the Jeppesen Deluxe Private Pilot contains all the information you will need for your written and oral examination. Items include:

  • Private Pilot Manual
  • Maneuvers Manual
  • Syllabus
  • Stage Exam Set
  • Oral Exam Study Guide
  • Airman Knowledge Test Guide
  • Presolo Written Exam
  • FAA Exam Package

Ground briefings will be given prior to, and following each flight to discuss procedures and your progress. You will typically spend 30 minutes to 1 hour of ground briefing/instruction for each hour flown with your instructor.

How much will it cost to get my license?

Several variables affect the cost of getting your license. Some of them are:
1. The type of airplane you train in. For your private pilot license, we have three 2003 DA20 's and many Cessna 152’s. The 152 is much cheaper but the Diamond is much nicer and has GPS.

2. How frequently you fly. The more often you fly, the greater the lesson and skill retention between lessons, and the more fun you will have. It is actually less expensive in the long run to fly more often.

3. Your learning speed. Some people learn more quickly than others.

4. Your skill aptitude. Some people pick up physical skills faster than others. An example of complete Private Pilot training in our 2003 DA20 is as follows:

  • 45 hours of aircraft time at $115 per hour = $5,175
  • 25 hours of dual instruction at $45 per hour = $1,125
  • 20 hours of ground instruction at $45 per hour = $900
  • 45 hours of insurance at $2.50 per hour = $ 113
  • Books & Study Materials: $300
  • Headset: $200 - Class III medical exam (average): $60
  • Written test exam fee (average): $150
  • FAA Examiner's fee: $350 plus aircraft time
  • A fuel surcharge may apply. Please enquire at the time of dispatch.

Total Cost: $8,173 estimated.

This is an example only. Everyone is different; some spend less, some more.

How do I pay for my pilot license?

1. You may "pay as you go" using cash, checks, and credit cards, or you may apply for financing through VA or Pilot Finance.

USAA is a FAA Approved flight training school, certified by the FAA under 14 CFR Part 141 for Private, Commercial, Instrument, Single and Multi-engine Land airplanes, ATP and all three Instructor Programs. This means most USAA students are eligible for student loans and other financial aid, available in the U.S. or abroad. Just ask our staff for assistance in obtaining financial assistance. Student loan information:

When can I start flying?

Right now! Today! Just come in, call or access our 24/7 scheduling system here and you will be placed with an instructor and on the schedule. You are ready to fly on your very first lesson! (You will need to obtain your 3rd class medical certificate prior to your first solo flight.)