Skillbridge Eligibility Requirements
- Have 180 days of service or fewer remaining prior to your date of separation and you have at least 180 continuous days of active service
- Obtain approval from your unit commander, and
- Agree that participation in SkillBridge can be terminated at any time by the Service if mission requirements dictate.
What SkillBridge is Not?
SkillBridge does not cover the cost of any training or ratings that are required to qualify for any internship. The program doesn’t provide compensation to the industry partners either, and as such there are no “funds available” for training, nor are there any “savings available” to pass on to the service member to offset required training costs. Since the program is an internship, service members must complete the application process and be selected by the industry partner to enter the program.
How to Apply for SkillBridge
Applying for CSP is certainly a process, it is recommended that you begin the process as early as possible.
Base Application and Command
- Discuss CSP with your Chain of Command
- Attend your SFL-TAP (Transition Assistance Program)
- Meet with a CSP Counselor to begin the process
US Aviation Academy
- Fill out our Application Form
- Sign Enrollment Agreement
- Send Onboarding Documents
- Send Filled CSP Form for School Approval
Why Get Out of Active Duty Early?
The Airline Industry is all about your seniority number! The sooner you get that number, the more time you will have to earn the highest tier possible as a Captain of a Mainline Airline. The earning potential at that tier is $20,000 a month*, so every month you delay, that’s money lost!
*According to GlassDoor.com American Airline Captains make $345,666 a year. This number is likely based on max seniority and is a conservative average. Some may make less; others may make more
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.